Saturday, September 10, 2011

Make mine The Chronic




Next on the Good Advice list of suggested listening is Dr. Dre's 1992 gansta-funk opus The Chronic. A venerable hip hop classic among gangster rap aficionados, this album introduced me Snoop Doggy Dogg, and Dat Nigga Daz, two of my favorite rappers to this day. I had this album on tape, cd, and now mp3. The fact that I've been listening to it for twenty years should say enough. For some reason I still have to argue this albums "gangsterness" with my homie Mr. Foulstyles. With songs like "A Nigga Witta Gun", "Rat-Tat-Tat-Tat", and "Stranded on Death Row" it's gangster is not to be questioned. I don't know about Foulstyles sometimes... but I'm sure I don't have to remind you of this albums place in rap history. With that said, if you've never listened to The Chronic (and I don't know why you had not), do it today. That's some Good Advice.

1 comment:

  1. Man, its got some "gangster" cuts on it. True... BUT, its more of an R & B album. The gangster is there but damn, you're telling me a straight "gangster" album sells like that? Its a crossover smash.. No doubt... But the true 100% "gangster" ( and real west coasters make "GANG BANG" music ) albums don't sell millions worldwide. That Jayo Felony Take A Ride is a true "Gangster" (Gang Bangin') album. That CMW, Music To Drive By is a true "Gangster" (Gang Bangin') album. To me, The chronic doesn't even come close to those albums!!!!!! Look 'em up.

    ReplyDelete